What is Synergy?
Synergy combines your desktop devices together in to one cohesive experience. It’s software for sharing your mouse and keyboard between multiple computers on your desk. It works on Windows, macOS and Linux.(excerpt from Symless’s Synergy Website)
Synergy is free and open source (free as in free speech), meaning you are free to run it and redistribute it with or without changes. You can purchase their software if you want easy setup and want to support them
If you want a VPS to run your website or host your own instance of any selfhosted application, You should checkout Vultr.
That sounds cool!, How to set it up? Well that’s what I am going to teach you in this blog post. Sit tight.
Steps to install Synergy on Multiple platforms.
- Get your setup/source files from the above links.
- If you are on Ubuntu (12.04 or UP) then follow the below steps.
- Go to terminal Ctrl + Alt + T
- Type sudo apt install synergy (works on Ubuntu 16.04) or you can compile it from source.
- That’s it.
- For Windows & Other unix based systems get the appropriate Installer. 7.Choose the master computer. The one which will act as a relay server between multiple devices. Once done open the Synergy app on that platform.
- Then Choose Server option. </br>
- Once configured start Synergy application on other desktops that you want to control.
- Setup them as Client input the IP addr (of the server) .
- And viola setup is done.
- Now you can easily use one keyboard and mouse over multiple PC’s.
- Make sure the name of the desktop matches the screen name in server configuration
- If you want to make it a startup app then you can create a startup script with help of startup manager on Ubuntu and You can do the same on Windows.